The #SydRecMeetup – Get Familiar
JobAdder played host to Sydney’s very first #SydRecMeetup event and boy was it a breath of fresh air!
Having gained popularity throughout New Zealand and in Melbourne over the last 2 years, the team behind Recruitment Meetup kicked things off in Sydney over beers at JobAdder HQ.
Talent Acquisition leader and no-nonsense host Mark Mansour set the tone when he cut right to the chase, “let’s be honest, recruiters keep information to themselves – there’s always that one person who stashes away a dream candidate’s CV in their top drawer.”
With that in mind, the #SydRecMeetup group provides recruiters (both agency and in-house) with an opportunity to network and trade secrets with other like-minded people. In doing so it aims to bridge the gap between agency and internal recruiters and to alleviate that feeling a lot of recruiters have of working in separate silos.
Turns out this struck a chord – some of their meetups have had up to 100 recruiters in attendance.
In the spirit of Mark’s candid, no-BS mantra, here’s a snapshot of the best tips and advice to come out of the talk:
- If you’re not already, get on Twitter.
- Lusha and Email Hunter – both great tools for finding email addresses.
- SourceHub – an awesome candidate sourcing tool packed with a Boolean-string generator.
- Recruiters who only pay attention to recent job seekers – rethink your strategy. If the typical candidate’s tenure at work lasts for 18-months, why not target candidates at the 16-month mark with an offer they can’t refuse?
- HiringSolved – a people-aggregating site that scours the entire web for the best talent.
- Talk about recruiters one day being replaced by robots is rubbish, because when it comes to client service, people want people i.e. JobAdder’s kick-ass helpful Customer Support team (thanks Mark!).
- Intelligence Search – a smart (and free!) candidate sourcing Chrome extension.
- Facebook Graph Search – this social sourcing tool is right underneath every recruiter’s nose but a lot don’t know about it. Here’s a how-to for those unfamiliar with it.
- Recruiters need to be reminded that when it comes to candidates – quality is always more important than quantity. Juggling a high volume of average candidates (as opposed to a smaller group of high quality candidates) is more work, more interviews and more of a drain on recruiter time and energy.
- Finally, when it came to the topic of reference checks, Xref came up the winner. 1 – for the fact that it’s so easy to use and 2 – having to call references is a pain in the a** for the recruiter and for the referee who is put under pressure to say something positive when quizzed over the phone!
A big shout out goes to Allegis Global Solutions for sponsoring our food and drink for the night!